on October 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM
Plan Ahead! IF a fire breaks out in your home, you may have only a few minutes to get out safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Everyone needs to KNOW what to do and where to go if there is a fire.
- MAKE a home escape plan. Draw a map of your home showing all doors and windows. Discuss the plan with everyone in your home.
- KNOW at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily.
- HAVE an outside meeting place (like a tree, light pole or mailbox) a safe distance from the home where everyone should meet.
- PRACTICE your home fire drill at night and during the day with everyone in your home, twice a year.
- PRACTICE using different ways out.
- TEACH children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Close doors behind you as you leave.
IF THE ALARM SOUNDS...
**If the smoke alarm sounds, GET OUT AND STAY OUT.
**Never go back inside for people or pets.
**If you have to escape through smoke, GET LOW AND GO
under the smoke to your way out.
**CALL the fire department from outside your home.